Since my operation, I’ve had a lot of time for thoughtful meditation. As I reflect on how things have gone since the morning of my operation, I am filled with thoughts of thankfulness. Here are just a few of those things for which I am thankful:
- On the morning of my surgery, I was fortunate to have gotten a good night’s sleep.
- When I got to the hospital at 5:50 AM, it was very peaceful, because nobody was there – not even the receptionist. I was grateful for that, since going to a hospital at a later time can be stressful with all the noise and other things that are going on.
- I was the first one to have surgery that day, and the nurse even told me that “it’s always good to be the first one to have surgery.”
- The receptionist, the OR nurses, the anesthesiologist’s assistant, the anesthesiologist, and my surgeon were all in a good mood and were very nice to me on that day. This is a huge blessing. Stress is contagious. If the people caring for you are stressed out, or are having a bad day, or have attitude problems, those things are conveyed to you and can make you nervous.
- Everything went well on that day.
- I don’t remember anything after the anesthesia was administered, until I awoke in recovery – That’s VERY GOOD!
- My wife was driving me home 4.5 hours after I got to the hospital (I didn’t have to stay overnight!)
- The pain has been no worse than I expected.
- My wife has been a real blessing helping me do a lot of things that I can’t do for a while, driving me around, and ministering to my needs in many ways.
- I have a lot of good books to read.
- A lot of nice people have shown their love and concern in different ways.
- I have good coffee to drink.
These are just some of the things for which I feel very thankful. A lot of prayers have been answered. I am thankful to God and to the nice people who have been so kind to me.
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. – 1Thessalonians 5:18
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. – Romans 8:28